How to do it
Since adding files is fairly common in a git repository, I decided to work the other way around, search for deleted files and see if they have been added in the last 3 commits.
Github provides a nice API that you can use to retrieve all the repositories. Since I didn't want to abuse the service, I only scanned 8000 repositories (out of the ~ 10 millions).
All together, the script is around 100 lines of Ruby.
And as my friend suggested, I found stuff:
- config/database.yml with 2 root passwords (really good ones) and one user password
- password for growlnotify
- PHP script with MySQL root password
- XML file with mysql credentials
- Deployment script with MySQL root password
- One SSH key
- CouchApp credentials
- Few hashes from database dump
For a total of 500Mo of deleted files.
Any idea of what else I should look for?